The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reproductive Health (RH) Officer - (Midwife Supervisor)
Requisition ID: req14352
Location: Konduga, Nigeria
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
- Under the direct supervision of the Reproductive Health Manger, the RH officer (Midwife Supervisor) will be responsible for implementation of these comprehensive package of RH services in Konduga LGA and will support other locations as assigned
- The RH officer (Midwife Supervisor) will assist the RH Manager to oversee facility and staff daily performance to ensure quality and timely reproductive health care services while maintaining high level of ethical and professional standards.
- Supervise and supports the provision of ALL clinical services and consultations at maternity sessions of supported MoH facilities and IRC’s comprehensive women centres.
- Ensures staff adherence to universal hygiene standards / precautions, appropriate waste management, bio-hazard prevention, infection prevention and control in the health facilities
- Works with cleaning staff to maintain general cleanliness of the working environment
- Liaise with the referral officer to facilitate referral of patients who need emergency or special care
- Works with community mobilization team to ensure strong linkages between services and communities
- Keep inventories and supervise the use of medical devices, ensuring they are clean and follow up with logistics for regular maintenance
- Ensure the availability of essential drugs and medical supplies at the facility as per the approved tracer drug list
- Liaise with the pharmacy warehouse to prevent stock out of drugs, other medical supplies while working with the RH manager to procure other consumable required in the facilities.
Technical Support and Quality of Care Management:
- Ensure all SRH services are in line with national/adopted protocols, and RH policies and guidelines are well understood by midwives and other support staff in the facilities
- Ensure all the staff follow the established IPC standards and international standard of infection prevention protocols
- Ensure all facilities adhere to instrument processing and sterilization protocols
- Conduct quarterly clinical skills’ assessment for midwife and follow up on areas that need improvement
- Provide on-the-job trainings to all midwives and support staff, define their training needs, and support the RH manager to implement them according to project objectives
- Conduct period facility readiness assessment and follow up on service point improvement action plan.
- Routinely monitor supervised staff performance according to their job description, conduct performance evaluation and provide written feedback in a timely manner
- Monitor staff daily attendance to duty posts and ensure time sheets are correctly filled and submitted monthly
- Ensure staff leave plan is followed and managed in a way that ensure smooth program continuity
- Develop and manage monthly midwives’ roster where applicable.
Representation, Project Implementation and Reporting:
- Focal person for intersectoral integration between Reproductive Health and Women Protection and Empowerment sector
- Raises purchase and payment request for reproductive health program and provide information that will support on BVA update
- Ensure teamwork and maintain relationship with different sectors and government agencies
- Responsible for validation of program data and timely submission to M&E on weekly basis
- Work with M&E team to analyze data on a weekly / monthly basis, feeds information back to the program, and adapts strategies accordingly.
- Provide weekly / monthly activity reports to the supervisor.
- Consistently and proactively monitors and assesses the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain / enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position directly reports to the Reproductive Health Manager
- Position directly supervises the midwives and the Konduga community mobilizer (indirectly)
- Indirect reporting: Senior / Reproductive Health Manager
- Other Internal and / or external contacts: Health Program staff and managers, and ALL other IRC sectors
- External: Other partners- NGO’s, MOH etc.
- Registered Midwife (Bachelor’s degree in nursing sciences an added advantage)
- Minimum of 2 years work experience as midwife
- Familiarity with local context and experience working with displaced population.
Others Desired Skills / Qualities:
- Quality oriented
- Self-motivated, resourceful, honest, highly responsible, committed, and punctual
- Comfortable attending and facilitating meetings
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize tasks, respect and adheres to deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead teams
- Basic computer literacy including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Good communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English for report writing.
- Borno State is categorized as security phase 4 (Red). The midwife supervisor (and staff under his / her supervision) are thus expected to work closely with IRC safety and security team (SST) to receive routine security briefings and comply with all security protocols / guidelines.
- Competitive Monthly salary
- Health Insurance Coverage for staff and family
- Annual earned leave days
- Pension scheme.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
UPCOMING NCLEX REVIEW COURSE: DECISION TREE (Monday 22nd - 24th APRIL 2021)
2021 Training Schedule for BLS/ACLS, Clinical Skills Workshop, PALS/BLS and Offshore/Onshore Medic HSE Course
NEW YEAR PROMO: FREE Peadiatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Training for Midwives/ Peadiatric Nurses
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AND ATTEND A FREE AHA BLS ACLS CLASS HOLDING IN: Delta, Anambra, Imo, Edo, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Enugu, Abia and Cross River State
Share this job with friends!!!