We the members of the above association are Nurses who specialize in Public and Community Health and are Registered with the NMCN. It came to us as a shock that the Council did not recognize the place of the Nurse Community specialist in decision making rather came up with unguided, erroneous insinuations, tantamount to slavery of the profession, Rural people and their trainees.
It is worthy of Note that the NMCN made a Contraction. This statement is premised on the following.
1.On the 11th Feb 2019, The NMCN circular N&MCN/ED/CIR/50/Vol.1/44. The Council adopted the resolutions of their meeting with heads of departments of Nursing in Nigerian Universities held 24th-25th July 2018. After 7months of Consideration of these regulations among others.
- That All schools of Nursing are given from 2019-2023 to Upgrade to degree awarding Institutions,
- That for Current Registered Nurses and Midwives who already spent 5years in their training, the degree program training duration could not be reduced below 4years for DE as it will affect the placement of Nurses in the Labour market.
- That on Post Graduate Programs, Masters is Public Health Nursing will accommodate Community Health Nursing.
2. On the 11th day of February 2019, a second Circular N&MCN/EDU/CIR/44/Vol.1/43. The Council after 3months consideration of the 47th General meeting of its Governing board held in Abuja from 18th-20th Dec. 2018, approved that all post basic schools be assimilated as PGD or Masters into the State Universities.
The issues now are
- Delta State MOH refused to put machineries in place for upgrade of the schools of Nursing.
- NMCN was Hippocratic when they refused to reduce the number of years for training Registered Nurses to get a degree based on the argument that reducing years of training will lower professional standards. How come they decided to lower Nursing Standard to training the low cadre Nurses and Midwives for 2years ? Or it was a child of circumstance to fill manpower gap according to the approval Circular of 27th April, 2020. N&MCN/SG/RO/MH/33/VOL.2/40?
- The Council has abandoned her Licenced Public Health Nurses and Registered Nurses to train Quacks.
- The actions of both NMCN and its connivance in the State Ministry of Health are in gross breach of the existing laws of the land both of Nursing and Midwifery Council, Federal Republic of Nigeria, and International Migration and Organization laws.
- The Ministry of Health Delta State, displayed their resentment for progress by applying for conversion the post basic Schools of Midwifery to basic midwifery and approval granted within a space of 1week by the council.
In conclusion, We equivocally state that this training is a grand Conspiracy to trample upon the right of Rural dwellers to the personal gains of a Conglomerate and such should be rejected !
Share this news with friends!!!