The index patient of the COVID-19 in Ekiti State has been discharged from the isolation centre by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the Ekiti State government.
The 37-year-old man who came in contact with an American tourist has tested negative after about two weeks of treatment.While fielding question from newsmen, the index case patient said that he was optimistic and hopeful of living his normal life once again.He, however, advised against fear of being tested positive, saying that COVID-19 was not a death sentence.
The state’s Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mojisola Yahaya-Kolade, said that the index case would be under close watch and would still be in self-isolation for at least seven more days.She noted that there were about 41 persons observing self-isolation in the state and none of them have developed any sign or symptoms of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Yaya-Kolade said that the female care-giver of the late American, who had been in isolation, “has done the test three times and she is negative.”
Meanwhile, Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi has appealed to the NCDC to establish a health testing facility in the state. “We have no testing facility in Ekiti State. NCDC should do the needful for each state to have one, though they have established some centres in some states, but not yet in Ekiti,” he said.
On the curfew imposed in the state to curb spread of the deadly disease, the governor explained that the action was backed by executive order since “our lawmakers are in COVID-19 recess.”
In another development, several vehicles and motorbikes were yesterday impounded from their owners in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, for defying the stay at home order of the state government. The vehicles were arrested and impounded by combined patrol of security agencies round Ado-Ekiti metropolis and other towns to enforce the order.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti Command, Mr. Sunday Abutu, said those arrested for violating the order would be prosecuted accordingly.
He said the punishment would be based on the severity of the offence committed.
Abutu, who commended the security agencies for being civil and professional in the way they handled the enforcement, said: “The punishment that will be meted out to offenders depends on the level of offence committed. Those who committed lesser offences can be cautioned and warned to desist while those who cannot be pardoned will face prosecution.
“The government had made it clear that fines and imprisonment are the two options that will be applied and our own is to arrest and charge accordingly while the government will do the prosecution. “So, whoever flouts the order and was arrested should be ready to face the music,” he said.
Share this news with friends!!!