Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
The following vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria.
Contract Period: Fixed Term
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise.
- Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Responsible for doing Doctors round and carrying out Doctors orders in the ward.
- Working as a team leader in the ward with Nurse Aides and Nutrition Assistants.
- Checking if all the feeding has been done correctly.
- Close collaboration with cleaners to keep the ward tidy always.
- Ensure all the necessary medical supplies for you shift are present during your shift.
- Correct tallying of all medical sundries and drugs.
- Support the supervisor in doing the inventory of drugs.
- Participating actively to the ward meetings in order to improve the organization of the service and the quality of nursing care.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor of Nursing Science essential; /diploma with valid practicing LICENCE
- Experience: 2years of previous experience. Experience with NGO desirable. Malnutrition knowledge is an added advantage. Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in team setting
- Languages: Fluent in English and Hausa essential, fluency in Kanuri is desirable.
- Competencies: Results and Quality oriented, Teamwork, Flexibility, Commitment to MSF and Stress management
MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit their application, including cover letter, resume and copy of relevant certificates to; -
Hard Copy: MSF Belgium Human Resources Office – FORI CV BOX –
Deadline: 27 March 2020
Please note only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
Share this job with friends!!!