I am pleased to inform you that the Hon. Minister of Health approved that Dental Nursing programme shall be brought under the jurisdiction and regulation of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria with immediate effect. Henceforth, Dental Nursing practitioners are to be regulated in line with nursing practice in Nigeria.
Sequel to that, the Board of Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria at it 50th general meeting approval as follows:
- Dental Nursing shall be a Post Basic Programme of 18 months' duration to be handle by the School of Dental Nursing at the Federal College of Dental Technology Enugu.
- Dental Nursing Register be created in line with section 6 (2&3) of the Registration Act.
- That, School of Dental Nursing at Federal Dental Technology Enugu will be accredited by the Council for the training of Dental Nurses.
- A new curriculum jointly developed with the College of Dental Technology Enugu has been approved by the Board.
- Students that are currently pursuing their training as Dental Nursing Student at Federal Dental Technology Enugu will sit for professional examination for Dental Nurses to be conducted by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria from November, 2020.
- Refresher programme will be organized for Dental Nurses/Dental Nursing practitioners to have a privilege for registration as Dental Nurses (in line with the provision of the Law.) and be registered with the Council thereafter as Registered Dental Nurses.
Please bring the content of this circular to the notice of all concern individuals.
Alh. Faruk Umar Abubakar
Secretary – General / Registrar
Share this news with friends!!!