The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Outreach Assistant
Requisition ID: req7098
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The Health Outreach assistant is responsible for patient care at the mobile clinics and overseeing community health activities for the population in the catchment area of IRC mobile clinics in Konduga, Borno State.
The Health Outreach assistant reports to the team leader/health clinical officer.
- Will support the health activities in triaging patients, assessment of patients, health education.
- Act as the link between Health facilities/mobile clinics and the community to ensure awareness of available services, proper follow-up of patients and defaulter tracing.
- Develop and conduct training of community volunteers on pillars of safe motherhood, infant and young child feeding practices, infection prevention and control, general child care and hygiene promotion.
- Provide health and nutrition messaging in the communities, in collaboration with community volunteers.
- Conduct regular meetings with the CVs, for sharing information, discussing relevant health issues and weekly activity plans for health messaging in the communities.
- Ensure health basic protocols and other IEC materials are well displayed in the facilities and outreach sites.
- Ensure mobile clinic sites are clean and well maintained.
- Establish effective referral mechanism between the mobile clinic and the hospital/IPD. Collect weekly activity reports from the CVs, review, discuss and submit to the team leader/health officer
- Supervise and monitor CVs in the community.
- Assist the health officer in patient care at the Health facilities and mobile clinics
- Jointly with the team, provide ongoing education for clinic staff and CVs.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position report to: Health Clinical Officer
- Position supervice: Community volunteers
- Position indirectly report: Health manager
- Maintain an updated record and compile and submit monthly reports of all services given.
- Monitor and ensure the proper usage of health and program supplies.
- Prepare weekly workplans and ensure timely implementation of the project activities.
Communication and Reporting:
- Support Health Clinical Officer in compiling statistical reports from the mobile clinics for submission weekly, monthly and annually.
- Ensure adequate flow of information for all supervisees with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas:
- Improvement of key health indicators mainly prevention of communicable disease, neonatal mortality ratio, and community population coverage.
- Increased uptake of health services as a strategy of reducing mortality
- Increased uptake of positive practices related to health, nutrition and hygiene.
- Timely and quality health care services to displaced persons, refugees and other vulnerable groups.
- Community volunteers actively participate in health services within their community.
- Registered Nurse, whith BNSc is an added advantage
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
- Must possess the practicing license and relavant certificate.
- Experience in nutrition is an added advantage.
- Two to three years experience in clinical medicine or public health.
- Proven experience in community based programming with the ability to motivate and lead community volunteers.
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experience in working in a team.
- Flexible to travel and work in different locations.
- Ability to speak Hausa and local languages will be added advantage.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel is an added advantage.
- Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The security situation in the NE continues to be volatile at level 3 (orange). security level as it’s one of the three states of emergency (SoE) in the NE of the country. The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments
Standards for Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Share this job with friends!!!