Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Sector Manager
Location: Damaturu, Yobe State
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Senior Project Manager
The Health Sector Manager (SMH) will be responsible for the overall management and technical direction of AAH’s OFDA funded Health and Nutrition interventions that targets vulnerable IDPs and Host communities in Damaturu Yobe (responsible for assigned Wards in Gujba LGA Health activities) areas in the North East region of Nigeria.
- Ensure effective management of planned nutrition and health activities under the OFDA grant
- Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of the short and long-range plans for delivery of project services, and provide guidance to AAH’s Nutrition and Health staff in the management of project interventions and/or activities for effective project impact.
- Work with the project team to develop an overall detailed project implementation plan for nutrition and health component in line with the predefined project implementation work plan.
- Manage the assigned Nutrition and Health project interventions in order to meet the project objectives within budget and the allotted time frame and report promptly any operational concerns (e.g. projected failure to meet objectives; increased beneficiary needs; projected over or under spending on project budget).
- Provide day to day supervision for the SMoH staff and AAH Health and Nutrition Team in a manner that supports the growth of internal leadership and adequate program management.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned Nutrition and Health project, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local health authorities at LGA level and for the seconded SMoH staff.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for the accomplishment of planned nutrition and health activities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise nutrition and health activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the Nutrition and health team.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate reporting of activities according to AAH and donors expectations.
- Support the development of new concept notes and proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the AAH country strategy.
Ensure appropriate staff management including staff development programmes for the AAH teams
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Line-manage the Health, Nutrition and IYCF Officer assigned to the projects, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and training to AAH staff in collaboration with the Regional Health and Nutrition Coordinator in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for activities.
- Evaluation of the technical skill level of the AAH teams, identification of training needs, Propose training plan to the Regional Health and Nutrition Coordinator, direct line Manager as well as with other supportive departments
- Support the Regional Nutrition and Health Coordination in ensuring the quality and pertinence of training programmes established for the AAH teams
- Support the logistics activities of health staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned health facilities and activities.
- Review overall project logistics plans and budgeting for field activities associated with donor requirements and provide guidance to the Nutrition and Health team and seconded SMoH field staffs in their delivery of those requirements.
- Promote and use AAH intranet and other operating procedures.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor requirements and in accordance with AAH, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
- Support the implementation of the AAH Health and Nutrition monitoring systems and record keeping methods that support routine data collection, analysis and reporting in line with the organization and donor expectations.
Ensure appropriate financial management, coordination and effective communication
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop budget forecast in reference to the detailed nutrition and health implementation work plan
- Develop monthly budget forecast and quarterly budget forecast with support from ERR PM and Deputy Managers.
- Develop appropriate and supportive communication structures with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs) in line with AAH procedures and communication policy.
- Support the regional Nutrition and Health coordination team to advance existing partnerships with Key UN agencies (UNFPA, WHO), NGOs and INGOs as well as the SMoH/SPHCDA at both national and LGA level.
- Participate in Nutrition and Health coordination meetings, AAH internal trainings, and other working groups, representing AAH and feeding back on relevant issues.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Communicate with HR for necessary staff meeting, performance review, appraisals.
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes; 10 minutes monthly conversation, 3 months/end of probation performance appraisal and annual/ end of contract appraisal.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, identify strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support.
Internal & External Relationship
- Project Manager: hierarchical line manager;
- Regional Nutrition and Health Coordinator: technical line manager;
- Nutrition and Health teams: hierarchical management - supervisee;
- Field Coordinator/DCD-Operations: exchange of information;
- Logistic/HR/Finance Managers: functional collaboration and exchange of information;
- Other sectorial teams: Exchange of information, coordination.
- SPHCDA, SMOH: exchange of information, coordination and partnership;
- LGA Team/ Health facility team: Training, supportive supervision, exchange of information and coordination.
BSc/Master Degree in Nutrition/Nursing or Medicine or Public Health. Certificate in project management for development professionals will be an added advantage
Skills & Experience
- 3 years’ experience in primary health care and maternal health.
- 2 years’ experience in CMAM and IYCF program.
- Previous experience in managerial role.
- Fluency in spoken and written English language.
- Skilled in using MS applications.
- Ability to plan and organize work Independent with appropriate follow through while paying close attention to detail and can read and abstract information from a variety of formats.
- Ability to delegate and follow up of task among teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and react according to evolving context/situation.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Able to prioritise clearly, oversee multiple tasks, set clear objectives for staff and delegate.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Work experience in humanitarian settings.
- Work experience with international NGO.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Experience of working in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health is preferable.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
Minimum Monthly Basic Salary: NGN 308,589.37.
Application Closing Date
2nd September, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Share this job with friends!!!