Ladies and gentlemen, permit me to introduce PROF. HAYAT I.M GOMMA, an Egyptian that has been illegally practicing Nursing in Nigeria as a lecturer and Professor of MCH Nursing in the department of Nursing Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
Ahmadu Bello University, the deliberate purveyor of illegality and quackery. We must say that it makes us heavy hearted to address one of Nigeria’s Premier Universities as such but it becomes necessary as the university has chosen to launch an assault on the Law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Nursing Profession as well as intentionally endangering the health of the Nigerian populace by employing and illegally keeping a HAYAT I.M GOMMA who is not registered to practice or even identify self as NURSE in Nigeria as prescribed by Nursing and Midwifery (Registration etc) Act N143 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 to train nurses who will get out and tend to the healthcare needs of Nigerians for almost a decade.
The Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria as the only agency empowered by the Nigerian Law to regulate Nursing Education and Practice in the country upon noticing the existence of Hayat I.M Gomma in the department, reminded the university in two consecutive accreditations reports (most recent in November, 2018) that the above named is practicing illegally and should be made to register with the council as prescribed by the law or the university and Hayat I.M Gomma risk sanction and prosecution as stipulated in the section 20 of the Nursing and Midwifery (Registration etc) Act N143 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004
Ahmadu Bello University Management’s Response:
In response to the repeated reminders from the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria, can you guess what the management of Ahmadu Bello University did?
- They decided to ignore all the council’s calls.
- They decided to even launch an attack on the Nursing and Midwifery (Registration etc) Act N143 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004. A law of the federal Republic of Nigeria which by extension is an assault on the CONSTITUTION of the Federal Republic of Nigeria itself.
- The university management in their defiance of the Law and their announcement to the World that “it is not every Law in Nigeria we see as binding on us even if it is or we are above certain Laws of the Country”
- In April 2019 reappointed her as the head of department of Nursing Sciences knowing that, by the law of Nigeria, she is not even supposed to be a staff of the department and even the university as the Nursing and Midwifery (Registration etc) Act N143 LFN 2004 prohibits and prescribed punishment for any agency/employer that engages the service of any person not registered by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria to practice as a Nurse in Nigeria in any capacity.
Note that, the university first appointed Hayat I.M Gomma as HOD Nursing Sciences shortly after her arrival in Nigeria in 2011 until 2015 in spite of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria call to the University.
- This is undoubtedly derogatory and a blatant mockery to the Laws of this Nation and everything Nigeria stands for perpetrated by an educational institution (Ahmadu Bello University) with no shortage of legal experts and advices having a record of producing a large community of legal practitioners over decades.
- In addition, to further take the Nursing and Midwifery (Registration etc) Act N143 LFN 2004 for a ride and tell the Nursing & Midwifery Council of Nigeria that “I employ & keep whom I want regardless of what you and the Law say” the Vice Chancellor decided to even honor the illegal services Hayat I.M Gomma rendered to the University by redecorating her with the “prestigious” Vice-Chancellor’s Merit Award in ABU’ 41st Convocation, April, 2019.
It is not possible for us to exhaust all that is there to be said, but we believe above is sufficient to conclude that,
- The management of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria is knowingly employing the services of a quack, Hayat I.M Gomma who is not registered and permitted to practice in Nigeria for a period of eight (8) years with total disregard to the Law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- The most recent actions of the University management (April, 2019) confirmed that, they are not only unlawfully employing Hayat I.M Gomma and using her to train nurses in Nigeria, they are also celebrating their rise above the Law with utter disregard and nonchalance with their shoulders in “I don’t care stance”.
Our fear: Such illegality intentionally perpetrated by the management of Ahmadu Bello University for almost a decade if left untended to could:
- Spell a doom to the healthcare delivery system in Nigeria as a government agency is intentionally employing quacks to train Nigerian nurses compromising the Public’s right to good health in the hands of trained and legally qualified and recognized professionals.
- Could negatively motivate other universities and agencies in the country to start putting themselves above the Laws of the Land, the public interest since breaching them attracts no penalty and maybe cheaper.
- This deliberate act has definitely dealt the image of Nigeria in the International community a big blow (since a foreigner is involved) depicting this country as an unserious and Lawless country that even the Government’s owned agencies are consciously braking the Law of the Land.
- Human are key to provision of quality healthcare services and nurses are at the center stage, this display from A.B.U Zaria made it clear to us, the Nation and the international community that, whatever this country could invest to improve its health indices, Educational Institutes like Ahmadu Bello University are derailing it by employing from other countries, quacks who do not meet the legal standards to even be identified as Nurse in Nigeria to train Nurses who made up about 75% of the healthcare professionals in the country.
Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria’ Intervention:
These among many, prompted the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria as a Law abiding agency and the only agency bestowed with the power for the regulation of Nursing Education and Practice in Nigeria to act in order to put a stop to the quackery orchestrated and institutionally protected by the management of Ahmadu Bello University that is currently basking in the air of being above the Nursing and Midwifery (Registration etc) Act N143 LFN 2004 and all its provisions.
The N&MCN declared and informed all concerned that:
- Prof. Hayat I.M Gomma, an Egyptian unlawfully employed since 2011 and appointed as head of department of Nursing Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria has been banned from practicing and participating in any nursing activity in Nigeria.
- The N&MCN has withdrawn the accreditation granted to the department of Nursing Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University and has suspended all regulatory activities with the department.
- By implication: No indexing of new students, no professional examinations (all professional exams) in A.B.U, no registration and licensing (holders of postgraduate degrees from A.B,U Zaria cannot register their qualifications and be licensed to practice with the new qualifications in Nigeria too), no Induction of newly qualified students from A.B.U, no Internship amongst others.
- By extension, no new student will be indexed/recognized and none of the existing students can graduate as a Nurse from Ahmadu Bello University Zaria until the university abides by the Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria they have been defying for almost a decade and strictly complies with the various accreditation reports to the satisfaction of the Board of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
The battle against quackery in Nursing and sanitizing Nigeria of its menace is a responsibility we all share, a responsibility we must all take for our dear country, responsibility we must strive to achieve by defying institutions like Ahmadu Bello University for the health and wellbeing of Nigerians by guaranteeing their rights to healthcare received from legally qualified personnel.
It is on this note, we are urging all Nurses, all good meaning citizens of Nigeria to be very vigilant and observant and inform the nearest National association of Nigeria Nurses & Midwives (NANNM) units branch/council or State Directorate of Nursing Services of Jurisdiction whenever Hayat I.M Gomma is seen or heard practicing Nursing either as lecturer/educator/resource person, clinician, administrator or in any other capacity in Nigeria as well as the name of her employer or contractor of service.
Concerned Citizens of the Federal Republic of Nigeria & Nurses Registered And Recognized by the N&MCN and the Law of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria.
The opinions, assumptions, insinuations, assertions and viewpoints expressed by the various articles, authors and guest posts on this blog are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views or position of Nursingworldnigeria.com
Share this news with friends!!!