The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
The University offers an American – style education modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and students assessment. The first entering class of 124 students and 20 professors was enrolled in September 2005. In ten years, AUN is fast becoming a model for other universities in Nigeria and West Africa.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Pediatric nurses provide health and medical care for children at the AUN Early Learning Center.The nurse will provide expert care to the child while working with parents, teachers and the Center Director for information, direction and assistance in line with stipulated policy and procedures.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify changes in a child’s signs and symptoms and intervene in emergent situations
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality in nurse/child relationships
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal physical findings
- Serve as health advocate for staff, ensuring that health concerns are given proper attention.
- Participate in activities to manage a child’s pain
- Analyse situations to anticipate pathophysiological problems and detect changes in status
- Administer medication using age-appropriate guidelines
- Determine a child’s needs related to pain management
- Evaluate a child for signs and symptoms of abuse
- Provide supportive care to dying children with parents
- Administer all medication at the center, communicating clearly
- Motivate staff to maximize collaboration, retention and growth
- Assist the center Director with the day-to-day operations of the school
- Shall perform any other duties as maybe assigned by the supervisor.
Requirements for the position:
- Nursing Certificate
- Valid License to practice/Nursing registration
- Two (2) to four (4) years of direct work experience with infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers.
- Basic Nursing Ethic
- Ability to undertake self-directed tasks when necessary.
- Flexible with time.
- Ability to learn
- Attention to detail.
- Capacity to prioritize by assessing situations to determine urgency.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply professional medical principles, procedures, and techniques
- Knowledge of pharmacological agents used in the treatment of infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills along with proper telephone etiquette
- Tactfulness and professionalism
Method of Application
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references email@example.com before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Share this job with friends!!!