The Challenge Initiative (TCI) supports Nigeria to accelerate and scale-up the positive changes in reproductive health with focus on family planning that six cities experienced under the Nigeria Urban Reproductive Health Initiative (NURHI) Project implemented since 2009. The Challenge Initiative in Nigeria envisions“A true FP movement in Nigeria where new states, governments, and partners ask for technical and financial assistance in implementing successful FP programming to match their own investments”.
The underlying goal of TCI is to increase modern contraceptive use particularly among the urban poor. The Initiative which is scheduled to run from 2016-2021 is currently implemented with funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in 5 states (Kano, Ogun, Niger, Bauchi and Delta) with plans to expand to 5 new states (Plateau, Anambra, Abia, Rivers and Taraba).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Position: TCI State Technical Lead - Service Delivery
Location: Kano, Ogun, Niger, Bauchi or Delta
Supervisor: TCI State Program Coordinator
Duration: 3-months (renewable) for the duration of the project
Purpose of the Technical Assistance
• While states lead the implementation of the respective interventions built on the high-impact model that include advocacy, service delivery and demand-generation components,
• TCI will provide technical assistance and hand-holding to the respective states in addition to program delivery funding to stimulate government interest and stakeholder confidence.
• TCI will continue to use the evidence from the implementation of these NURHI models to stimulate more demand for Family Planning services while strengthening supportive policy and enabling environment as well as drive government investment to ensure access especially amongst the urban poor.
• The TCI State Technical Lead - Service Delivery will provide technical support to the state family planning team in ensuring proper implementing of their proposal with focus on service delivery.
• S/he will work closely with and provide feedback to the supervisor on this thematic area.
The key outcomes of the service delivery intervention include:
• Expanded access to high-quality family planning services through improved FP service delivery environment, competencies of FP providers in providing LARC and contraceptive commodity security;
• Integrated family planning program within existing Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) and HIV services;
• Strengthened referrals linkages for family planning services at levels of care; Improved Quality of Care as well as quality of data collection procedure; and build capacity on database management, data demand and use.
Scope of Work
The TCI State Technical Lead - Service Delivery will:
• Support state implementation, transfer and build capacity through mentoring and coaching of Family Planning managers and implementers to lead the scale-up and replication of high-impact urban reproductive health/family planning service delivery interventions
• Work with the State Ministry of Health, Primary Healthcare Development Agency, other relevant Department and Agencies, as well as other implementing partners to implement the cost-effective health facility upgrades through comprehensive or modified makeovers.
• Ensure efficient supply chain management including forecasting, procurement, distribution, utilization tracking of family planning equipment, commodities and consumables in the state
• Support state implement (facility and community) outreach and in-reach programs across the selected sites while tracking results
• Work with state and other implementing partners to facilitate training of clinical (health care workers) and non-clinical providers (TBAs, community volunteers, etc) on service provision and referrals
• Work with the state advocacy team in concert with the TCI state Technical Support Unit to drive collective action, galvanise policy actions for the localisation and operationalisation of relevant service delivery protocols
• Support states implement counterpart high-impact family planning interventions using the demand-driven model that ensures optimal learning.
• Facilitate the conduct of field visits and learning tours, data collection and quality assurance; and providing operational guidance and convening meetings of key stakeholders.
• Facilitate capacity strengthening interventions under the TCI University and support the roll-out of the in-country Community of Practice and capacity transfer processes for effective replication of NURHI model.
• Prepare and submit activity plans and reports, monthly activity updates and quarterly as may be required under the initiative result framework.
• Co-facilitate meetings, training, workshop and transfer of knowledge process on service delivery to TCI-supported States.
• In addition to attending periodic planning meeting with the TCI team in Abuja, the consultant may be required to travel to project locations within the state up to 40% and out of the state (up to 25%) as the need arises.
Education, Skill/Experience and Qualifications
• A degree in a public health, nursing, medicine or related field
• A post-graduate degree in public health will be an added advantage.
• Minimum of 7 years experience in reproductive health, HIV/PMTCT, or maternal and child health program implementation and coordination
• Ability to perform under lean, self-paced and flexible working conditions
• Demonstrate experience of having undertaken similar assignments
• Good basic financial reporting, analytical and documentation skills
• Excellent presentation, communication and facilitation skills especially with the use of data and evidence to influence action
• Excellent command of oral and written English
• Thorough understanding of the local context, cultural awareness and sensitivity to gender issue.
• Understanding of the local language is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV's to: [email protected] using Name, Position and location as email subject.
Share this job with friends!!!