Plan International was founded over 75 years ago with a mission to promote and protect the rights of children.
The organisation was set up by British journalist John Langdon-Davies and refugee worker Eric Muggeridge in 1937, with the original aim to provide food, accommodation and education to children whose lives had been disrupted by the Spanish Civil War.
Langdon-Davies conceived the idea of a personal relationship between a child and a sponsor – a model that puts the child at the centre, and remains the core of what we do.
The Nutritionist will be responsible for identifying and treating SAM cases through OTP and mobile outreach, using MUAC screening and CMAM approach, and refer complex SAM cases to a Stabilization centre.
* Create awareness through counselling on proper child feeding, early child hood development, cause of under nutrition, food demonstration, hygiene and sanitation etc.
* Provide nutrition education and counselling for adolescents and their caregivers.
* provide a safe space for breastfeeding and referral to external services.
* Ensure observance & respect the dignity of beneficiaries, careers and members of the community at all times
* Participate in any nutrition sector-specific assessments and make technical recommendations for appropriate activities, both for initial disaster response phase and for longer-term disaster risk reduction and transition phase.
* Determine the cause of the malnutrition in the emergency response and formulate appropriate responses that will address the cause.
* Assess the immediate lifesaving nutrition interventions needed (such as CMAM) in addition to the prevention activities (ENA, IFE, etc) that need to be implemented at the same time.
* Actively participate and represent Plan International in State and LGA nutrition CMAM Cluster meetings.
* Provide technical support and training were required to all team members
* Build the capacity of Community Volunteers (CVs) and committees to deliver quality service.
Monitoring & Reporting
* Keep an updated note-to- file and submit enrolment forms for education/livelihoods support and distribution.
* Provide weekly case update to supervisor including new cases identified, number of referrals, cases closed and follow ups.
* Provide weekly report on activities at both mobile and static CFS centres. This will include including key achievements, challenges, lessons learnt and follow up support needed from supervisor.
* Submit intake forms to GBV/IMS Officer to ensure proper database of cases and analysis of reported cases.
* Ensure the principle of safety and confidentiality of beneficiaries’ data upheld.
Coordination & Representation
* Participate in Bi-Weekly supervision meeting with Project Coordinator to ensure adherence to standards of care and appropriate case management.
* Where necessary and in consultation with the Project Coordinator participate in LGA level coordination meeting.
* Maintain positive coordination and relationship with other partners in the field at all times.
* A high degree of flexibility on the part of staff is expected in order to respond to the ever-evolving situation in the North East therefore these terms of reference may change based on the situation on the ground.
Learning and knowledge management
* Document and share relevant information that will inform the development of case studies and or success stories of the project
* Shares relevant information within the team establishing and supporting the proper documentation of activities
* Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
* Participate in case review and case conference meetings and share experience on critical/ complex cases.
* Dealing with Problems
* Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
* Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
* Analyze possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
Communications and Working Relationships:
* Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
* Support the preparation of reports for domestic and international consumption.
* Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programs.
* Work with other members of the team units (Community Engagement Officer, CP/SGBV Officer, Data Management Officer) to ensure effective and efficient program delivery.
* Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Qualifications and Experience
* BA or equivalent in Nursing, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Counselling, Sexual Reproductive Health, or Gender related programs
* 1 to 3 years of experience in SGBV case management including providing psychosocial counselling for survivors of Gender Based Violence
* Strong ability to lead activities in women and girls center preferred
* Background and understanding of adolescent reproductive sexual health and previous experience working with adolescents on Sexual Reproductive Health issues
* Clear understanding of gender, abuse of power, and issues surrounding violence against women and girls.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality, medical ethics and respect for clients at all times.
* Experience in participatory techniques and community mobilization
* Knowledge and ability to speak the language of the local community preferred
* Experience working with SGBV case files providing regular documentation preferred
* Demonstrated understanding of the skills necessary to work with children and adolescents particularly vulnerable children and survivors of GBV
* Demonstrated ability to solve problems, think and plan strategically, and communicate with key actors in a dynamic and unpredictable operating environment
* Knowledge of Sphere and established international child protection/GBV standards, methodology and tools
* Knowledge of community mobilization and facilitation techniques
* Ability and willingness to work in a participatory manner with a diverse range of client communities
* Personal qualities: Team player, clear communicator, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well under minimal supervision, and a commitment to * child rights and gender equality
* Languages: Fluency in English and local language of the beneficiaries’ population required
* Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
* Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
* Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
* Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
* Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
* Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
* Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
* Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Application Closing Date:
9 November, 2017
Method of Application
Interested persons application should be submitted to Nigeria.email@example.com
Physical Environment and Demands
Based in Mubi, Adamawa state with extensive travels to lead and supervise project activities for selected communities in Askira Uba, Madagali, Michika, Hong, Mubi South and Mubi North.
Level of Contact with Children:
High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have very frequent contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Share this job with friends!!!