FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Nurse
Location: Dikwa, Borno
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions.
- Position is responsible for nutrition rehabilitation among admitted cases through treatment of clinical complications of severe acute malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation through provision of therapeutic feeds, routine and specialized medicines, health and nutrition counseling, and capacity building and technical support to the SC and pediatric Unit in the management of complications associated with severe acute malnutrition.
- Ensure effective management of complications related in the hospitalized cases
- Effectively following the SC protocols for the medical care of the SAM cases with complications.
- Work closely with SC and Pediatric staff to ensure all SC protocols are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the OTP.
- Prepare plan of action for effective SC implementation in consultation with the SC Supervisor and Pediatrician.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and documented, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP.
- Ensure comprehensive health checks, checking Vitals, frequent medicines and feed administration and treatment according to the protocols.
- Ensure timely therapeutic preparation, provision and monitoring.
- Completing and updating the patient file to ensure a track of patient progress
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and therapeutic feed supply and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistic.
- Follow-up and provide feedback to the SC Supervisor on the amount and quality of the treatment supplies if it does not comply with specified quality standards.
- Report on progress and any problems in a timely manner
- Ensure cases not meeting admission criteria return home or referred to the appropriate programme as early as possible and counsel the family why their child is not admitted
- Through liaison with the community health worker and mother-to-mother support group facilitator mobilizers and nutrition volunteers, provide effective follow up of default case.
- Provide key health and education messages to beneficiaries based on the protocol and guideline.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the SC.
- Follow-up and ensure good interaction with the beneficiaries.
- If there is a problem, find out what is wrong and find a solution or else contact your immediate supervisor.
- Perform any other duties requested by the immediate supervisor.
- Network and coordinate with the relevant units in the hospital
- Follow and respect the current protocols specially drug administration i.e. for de-worming, malaria, polio and measles, and micronutrient mineral/ Vitamin A supplements targeting children and PLW
- Liaison with the Paediatric unit, pharmacy, store, EPI and MNCH as and when required.
- Add the activities linked to health and nutrition education in the protocols.
- Participate in the follow-up of orders and consumption.
- Compile the statistical data (admission, default, cured, absent, death) and draft a report on activities
- Facilitate Ward rounds with the nutritionist and medical officer
- Prepare and update the medical and nutritional record for Ward rounds on a regular basis.
- Convene the ward rounds and update on patient progress.
- Preparation and Administration of Therapeutic feeds/medicines with recording of patient progress.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- 2-3 years’ experience in CMAM/SC preferably in the NGO sector
- Registered Nurse
- Experience working with a humanitarian organization
- Fluent in English and Hausa
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to work in the intensive care settings and able to respond properly to live saving emergencies and resuscitation.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites.
- Excellent spoken and written Local and English languages.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience working clinical setting is an asset.
- Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Share this job with friends!!!