FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the vacant position below:
Position: Clinical Nutritionist
Job ID: 18699
Location: Dikwa, Borno
* Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
* These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
* FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
* FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions.
Job Summary / Responsibilities
* Position is responsible for better nutrition among communities through treatment clinical symptoms of severe acute malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation through provision of therapeutic food, routine drugs, health and nutrition education and capacity building and technical support to the ministry of health in the management of severe acute malnutrition.
* Ensure effective management of clinical and other ailments at OTP
* Plan and organize OTP at designated distribution sites in liaison with OTP Supervisor and DNPM.
* Work closely with FHI 360 staffs to ensure all aspects of the programme are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the OTP and the programme is well integrated into the health systems.
* Work closely with the teams to ensure all children are screened correctly
* Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP/Stabilization.
* Ensure comprehensive health checks and treatment according to the protocols.
* Ensure correct clinical diagnosis at the time of assessment so that the patient receives appropriate treatment in the relevant program.
* Timely identification of complications, non-responder, and referrals to the SC.
* Review the forms completed by staff to ensure completion, accuracy and coherence.
* Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics.
* Follow-up and provide feedback to the PHC Doctor/ OTP Supervisor on the amount and quality of the treatment supplies if it does not comply with specified quality standards.
* Report on progress and any problems in a timely manner.
* Through liaison with the community health workers and mother-to-mother group facilitator, provide effective follow up of all cases: particularly tracing of children who are absent from the programme, sick children, long stay children, children not gaining weight, and children with social problems etc.
* Provide key health and education messages to beneficiaries based the protocol and guidelines.
* Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the OTP/SFP sites.
* Perform any other duties requested by the immediate supervisor
* Supervise medicines administration in OTP activities
* Follow and respect the current protocols specially drug administration i.e. for de-worming, malaria, polio and measles, and micronutrient mineral/ Vitamin A supplements targeting children and PLW.
* Add the activities linked to health and nutrition education in the protocols.
* Participate in the follow-up of orders and consumption.
* Achieve ideal weight gain for enrolled patients as early as possible.
* Analyze the nutritional situation.
* Compile the statistical data (admission, default, cured, absent, death) and draft a report on activities
* Network and coordinate with the relevant sectors
* Establish good relationship with the Local Government Area authorities and community leaders.
* Establish a network with the other actors in the working area (I/NGO)
* Establish a good understanding of the program within the community
* Establish link and meetings with the community leaders and different group existing in the working area.
* This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task.
* Inform PHC Doctor/ OTP Supervisor and the Deputy of any professional problems encountered.
* Conduct all duties in a professional manner following FHI 360 Nigeria staff regulations and charter.
* Be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work.
* Bachelors of Nursing
* 1-2 years’ experience in CMAM/SC preferably in the NGO sector
* Registered Nurse
* Experience working with a humanitarian organization
* Fluent in English and Hausa.
Skills & Experience:
* Ability and willingness to travel to villages and stay at the field if required.
* Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites.
* Excellent spoken and written Local and English languages.
* Good interpersonal and communication skills.
* Previous experience working clinical setting is an asset.
* Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Share this job with friends!!!