Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Project Officer
To support implementation of Nutrition component under FFP project in Borno.
• The post holder will receive a context specific ToR for each deployment, which will draw upon the responsibilities outlined below.
Programme Support (typically will be at field level):
• Working closely with the lead Nutrition Coordinator and FFP DPM to ensure assessment for health facilities and partners running health facilities.
• With support from lead Nutrition Coordinator and FFP DPM to map all health facilities with OTPs, stabilisation centres within locations where SC and FFP program is being implemented.
• Working closely with EYN community volunteers to ensure effective screening or all children under five years and referral systems are in place for all children.
• Work closely with staff at health facilities to ensure all children refereed with malnutrition are treated according to national standards.
• Working with the Community Mobilizer, ensure engagement of community leaders / their designates for the organisation of the arrivals outside of the centre
• Working with the IYCF Counsellor, ensure CMAM beneficiaries are referred to IYCF services when required
• Ensure adequate triage / that new arrivals are seen as a priority
• Ensure cases not meeting admission criteria return home as early as possible and understand why their child is not admitted.
• Supervise the activities of the OTP/SFP team at the distribution point
• Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the various components of the programme.
• Ensure comprehensive health checks and treatment according to the agreed protocols
• Review the forms completed by staff to ensure completion, accuracy and coherence
• Undertake individual evaluations with the team
• Submit a weekly report of the tally of statistics for each site (one form per site per week)
• Report any progress and any problems in a timely manner
• Through liaison with the community outreach/nutrition workers, provide effective follow up of all cases – particularly: ensure the prompt tracing of children who are absent from the programme
• Request specific children to be followed up as required (newly enrolled children, sick children, long stay children / children not gaining weight, children with social problems etc).
• Liaise with the Community Mobilizer to ensure comprehensive community outreach and mobilisation, health education and treatment. Check that all messages to carers, community groups, leaders and authorities are consistent and fully understood.
• Attend regular nutrition meetings and assist in any other tasks when required
• Respect the dignity of the beneficiaries, carers and members of the community
• Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
• To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
• Identify learning and training opportunities for partner staff and communicate this to the Field manager or Nutrition Program Officer.
• Ensure all OTP/SFP team members are familiar with their posts.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
• Ensure that Save the Children's work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and support Interagency Coordination forums, advocating for the specific needs of children. This may involve supporting coordination working groups within the IDP camps and host communities or target project sites.
• Contribute to communications and media work as required through correction of data and information and sharing with the project heads
• Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Qualifications & Experience
• Health / Public Health / Nutrition / B.Sc or equivalent
• Experience of emergency nutrition work (preferably CMAM) and implementation of feeding programs, including monitoring and evaluation
• Experience in conducting nutrition assessments and an understanding of nutritional surveillance and information systems
• Proven capacity of management, leadership and teamwork
• Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathise with all beneficiaries and their carers
• Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions
• Demonstrable ability at report writing
• Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment
• Ability and willingness to frequently travel and stay at the field
• Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
• Fluency in written and spoken English and local languages
• Computer literacy.
• Qualified nurse with primary health care / community health care experience.
Application Closing Date
15th March, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
MAKE THE NURSES ANTHEM YOUR RING BACK CALLER TUNE
"Nurses are GREAT, Nurses are CARING, An epitome of HUMILITY to SERVICE, We are specially ordained for this VOCATION, YES AM PROUD TO BE A NURSE!!!
For MTN users: Text 020352 to 4100.
If you have never used Caller tunes on MTN, text Reg to 4100 to activate. Then, text 020352 to 4100
For ETISALAT users: Text 823208 to 251.
If you have never used Caller tunes on Etisalat, text RBTON to 251 to activate. Then text 823208 to 251
For AIRTEL users: Text 0427654 to 791.
If you have never used Caller tunes on Airtel, text Sub to 791 to activate. Then text 0427654 to 791
Share this job with friends!!!